Monday, July 27, 2009

It has been too long since my last entry...

Well, let's see... last weekend, July 16-20 I was in New Orleans for the National Lutheran Youth Workers Conference. It was an absolute blast!! I learned a lot, networked, dressed professionally, it was sweet!! I had the opportunity to meet a number of seasoned youth workers who have been doing this for tens of years! I was able to sit down with them and really enjoy their stories and advise about ministry. I also met a number of youth workers from Michigan, so that was cool. I went to a number of sessions by varying speakers... but I think my favorite was Transforming Confirmation (I'm not really sure... but my mother seems to believe, and she has convinced me for now :), that I'm not supposed to use names... so I won't tell you exactly who the speaker was for now). It was very inspiring to listen to this speaker; his passion and knowledge was incredible... some type of goal to shoot for I suppose.

I did go down Bourbon street with a number of other DCEs and youth workers, and let's just say we will not be going there next year with the Youth of Grace Coopersville. However, one of my companions and I did stop at a place called Cafe Beignet, where we got to hear a wonderful little trio called "Steamboat Willie." They were spectacular!

Well, basically right after New Orleans, I moved almost everything I own up to Coopersville, MI. I have now been on the job for four days, I'm kinda tired and do not have anything of a personal life right now. But, I think it's just because I'm getting started and haven't gotten into a routine yet. Plus we have a big ole fundraiser coming up that needs to get planned. I've been working a lot for this reason, but like I always say, I'd rather be busy than bored.

Gave a children's sermon this morning... I was quite nervous, but otherwise it went really well. I'm very happy with how it went.

I've also had the opportunity to start meeting some of the Youth, Jr. Youth, and Elementary age kids of the congregation... they all seem pretty super. I'm excited to see how we can grow the Youth and children ministry at Grace. I am reminded lately (mostly through the book "Simple Church" by Thom S. Rainer and Eric Geiger... good book, I'd recommend it, at least so far) of keeping the focus the focus. Keeping the mission/focus of the church at the center of what we do. It's not about the individual "programs" we do or should I say that we're doing them, its about the end result of all the programs. That we are making more and better disciples by sharing Jesus' love (Grace Coopersville mission).

I guess that's about it for now. Hopefully I'll have good news to write about the fundraiser here coming in a couple weeks.

Hey Lord,
Its been a pretty exciting few weeks! I'm glad to be here, but at times kinda nervous. Please keep my eyes always focused on you as my rock and my strength. Give me your words and guide my steps that I can be a reflection of your light.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment